Developing Assertiveness for Leaders
Cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic
Early Eagle Rate:
Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. - Alexander Hamilton
Assertiveness is a state of mind, an attitude, a way of thinking. It is about how you interact with others to be a better manager, colleague, or team member. Assertiveness is at the heart of your relationship with yourself and with others. It enables you to use behaviors that you and other people value.
Developing Assertiveness for Leaders gives you an opportunity to learn how your behavioral style impacts your overall performance as a manager. You will assess your current assertiveness skills and find out how you can improve them for a more effective approach. This program shows you how to employ assertiveness skills to take control of situations without threatening or alienating others.
- People managers and supervisors who want to improve their management and leadership skills.
- High-potential talents preparing for a management or leadership role.
- New people managers and supervisors.
- An introduction to assertiveness
- Do I want to be assertive? A look at myself
- Introduction of assertive/responsive model
- Assessing personal level of assertiveness
- What is assertiveness?
- The nature of assertiveness and popular misconceptions
- The fear of being assertive and the desire for harmony
- Individual rights and responsibilities
- Self-image, self-esteem, authenticity, and the power of beliefs
- Assertive, aggressive, and passive behaviors
- Body language, vocal image, and verbal patterns
- Response to pressure situations
- Consequences in the workplace
- How perceptions determine reactions
- Techniques to becoming positively assertive
- Changing destructive internal dialogue
- Speaking up; standing up for yourself
- Giving and receiving feedback, criticism, and praise
- Handling difficult, controlling, and manipulative behavior in others
Ms. Ma. Socorro "Baby" P. Jamias
is a Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach, a learning and development facilitator, and a capability-building consultant. She works with the academe, government, various businesses, and diverse private organizations. Her expertise includes start-ups, people-skills development, performance improvement, talent management, leadership and managerial centering.
Ms. Jamias was a faculty member of Far Eastern University, University of Sto. Tomas, Maryknoll (now Miriam) College, St. Joseph's College, and Ateneo de Manila.
She has a Certificate in Organization Development from the Ateneo Human Resources Center. She completed her Master of Arts degree in Linguistics at the Ateneo de Manila University. She likewise took graduate studies in Education, Drama, and Speech at the University of the Philippines, University of Sto. Tomas, and Ateneo de Manila University respectively.
Currently, she is Program Director of the Happiness at Work Series and the Communication Excellence Series of the Ateneo Center for Continuing Education.