Essentials of Supervision
Cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic
Early Eagle Rate:
Performing well as a supervisor is difficult enough. What makes it even more difficult is the transition from being a member of the team to becoming a leader of that team. To meet these challenges well, you need to have solid management and leadership essentials. This program will train you in these fundamentals within an intensive and interactive four-day session. You will learn how to maintain proper boundaries, set clear goals, handle subordinates professionally, provide effective feedback, motivate staff, and deal with everyday supervisory concerns.
Who should attend
The program is designed for supervisors and junior-level managers, as well as those who aspire for these positions. Participants are either those who have just been promoted to their roles, or who have been there for a while but would like to further develop their management and leadership skills.
After the course, you will:
- Develop a good working knowledge on the roles and functions of a supervisor;
- Identify opportunities for increasing assertiveness;
- Outline the management cycle: Planning, Organizing, Leading, Controlling (POLC);
- Set Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely (SMART) goals;
- Define your responsibilities as HR line manager;
- Effectively delegate tasks to staff;
- Establish an objective feedback mechanism; and
- List tactics for dealing with difficult behaviors.
- The Nature of supervisory work
- Perspective: clarifying your leadership role as a supervisor
- Roles of a supervisor: what you need to master with regard to your interpersonal,informational, and decisional roles
- Managerial functions of a supervisor: The five basic management functions of a supervisor
- Operating vs. managing: which aspects of your work you need to focus on
- The benefits of planning
- Following the planning process
- Anticipating problems
- Meeting your responsibilities as HR line manager
- Delegating responsibilities to your staff
- Management and leadership: how they differ and why you need to be strong in both
- Leadership traits and skills
- Setting standards that are results-oriented
- Monitoring progress and taking corrective action
- Understanding the negative effects of passive or aggressive behavior
- Practice assertive behaviors
- Developing your communication skills
- Delivering feedback, both positive and constructive
- Practicing empathy as a basis for stronger leadership
- Balancing task and relationships
- Pro-people or pro-task: which leadership style is better?
- Differentiating self and role: how to set proper boundaries
- Motivating yourself and your team
- Using motivational techniques
- Dealing with difficult people and situations
- Dealing with behavior problems
- Managing conflict
Dr. Jet F. Magsaysay
is the Program Director for the Leadership and Management Development Program of the Ateneo Graduate School of Business Center for Continuing Education (CCE), and is President of Strategic Directions, Inc., a strategy- and management-consulting firm.
As a strategy and organizational development consultant, he has guided leading corporations in the Philippines and Southeast Asia in developing their visions and strategies, and in building their organizational capabilities.
As a program director he has conceptualized and customized leadership and management programs for diverse clients. As a trainer-educator, he has designed and facilitated courses in strategy, execution, leadership, and management skills. He is Curriculum Director for JFC University, and a lecturer at Kyoto University’s Asia Business Leader Programme, where he teaches Business Planning and Leadership Skills.
As a corporate executive, he has managed business units in the Philippines, in China, and across Asia, in the investment banking, publishing, and consulting industries.
He has a BSc. in Industrial Management Engineering from De La Salle University, a Master in Management (with Distinction) degree from the Asian Institute of Management, and a Ph.D. in Leadership Studies, major in Organizational Development, at the Ateneo De Manila University.
"All topics are really helpful in our day to day role."
- Cecilia Rosario M. Villejo Operations Manager, Spectrum Travel and Tours
"Very clear. You can easily understand the topics, and the facilitator is very much approachable before and after the training. He gave advices to everyone."
- Madeline Estrada Mabbun Accounting Supervisor, Gentle Supreme Philippines, Incorporated
"Worth attending! It made me realize the things I should and should not do as a leader."
- Jennifer Lee Sandil-Basit QA Engineer III, Allied Telesis Labs Philippines
"It was really an enjoyable learning experience. Very much helpful in the real-life work situation which can surely help me become a more efficient leader."
- Ria Zamora Supervising Associate, EJ Hall Consultants, a division of Staff Alliance, Inc.
"The course actually made me understood my role as a supervisor. It defined what are required of me to be a good and effective supervisor and a leader."
- Gina E. Manalo Division Chief III, PNOC
"Never a dull moment. The topics discussed were practiced in a practical scenario. Thereby making you have a feel of how it will done in the real life."
- Parrish B. Pisig Senior Account Manager Specialist, Philippine National Oil Company
"Finally, a training program that feels like customized to me, to my need."
- Jemma Hernandez Senior Account Officer, Mapua IT Center