Financial Restructuring and Bankruptcy Advanced Module: Diploma Program in Corporate Finance
Cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic
Early Eagle Rate:
Financial distress is a scary thought for investors and business owners, yet it typically is part of a firm's natural life cycle. Firms operate in competitive markets, and in the face of intense competition, some succeed while others fail. Financial distress sets in when a firm faces the danger of not being able to settle its debts as they come due.
The insolvency law offers two ways to resolve financial distress: reorganization and liquidation. Reorganization creates a plan to restructure the firm's business and, more importantly, its debts, and eventually restore its financial health. Liquidation is a more extreme solution where the firm stops operating, its assets are sold, and the proceeds are used to pay creditors.
At the very most, averting a financial crisis must rank high in the priority list of every corporate finance director. At the very least, its management and control must stay focused on firm value preservation. Ensuring that these realities get the attention they deserve requires the development and honing of specific financial management skills which this particular module generously provides. Participants are grounded on the essentials of averting, and more importantly, surviving, financial distress.
Who should attend
This module is highly recommended for investment bankers, business professionals, consultants, lawyers and entrepreneurs, and other finance practitioners involved, one way or another, in turning around financially-distressed companies. Those familiar with or have adequate working knowledge of company valuations, investment banking, and basic business mathematics and statistics will find this module most meaningful and beneficial.
Successful completion of this module enables the participants to:
- Recognize and explain the main causes of corporate financial distress;
- Implement mechanisms to detect potential problems while adequate alternatives for remedial action still exist;
- Explain the difference between reorganization and liquidation under the bankruptcy code;
- Understand the principles, the legal requirements and the mechanics of financial rehabilitation;
- Analyze a given scenario and conceptualize/develop an appropriate financial rehabilitation plan;
- Recognize the benefits of mergers and divestitures in corporate restructuring;
- Describe the business liquidation process; and
- Explain vulture investing as a mechanism for value creation.
The course, which employs lectures, interactive discussions, case studies and practical application exercises, covers the following areas:
- Understanding corporate financial distress and its consequences
- Common causes of business failure: internal and external
- Early financial distress detection
- Reorganization vs. liquidation
- Development and implementation of a financial rehabilitation plan
- Working with and seeking concessions from creditors
- Liquidation in bankruptcy: advantages and disadvantages, mechanics
- Vulture investing
- Legal and accounting aspects
MS. IDA TIONGSON is presently President of a multi billion – ING-formed investment company, Opal Portfolio Investments (SPV-AMC) Inc. She is also a Teaching Fellow and Trustee of Institute of Corporate Directors as well as Trustee of Center for School Governance. Further, she also lectures at Ateneo Graduate School of Business handling Corporate Rehabilitation, Corporate Finance and Bank Marketing as well as with IFC Worldbank on Audit and Risk Management. She is also a Director of Fintech Global Resources Inc.
Her past experiences include directorship in publicly listed VITARICH Corporation and Board Advisor of Publicly Listed East Asia Power Resources Inc. She has extensive banking experience with National Australia Bank (Australia) and Philippine National Bank.
Ms. Tiongson completed her Bachelor of Business in Accountancy at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology in Australia with Credit and completed Accounting for Bankers with a perfect score and took post graduate class on Remedial Management at Asian Institute of Management. She also completed Masterclasses in both Kaplan Norton Balance Scorecard in Australia and Terrapin's Cryptocurrency in Singapore.