The Business of Treasury: Banking Perspective
February 08, 2020 - February 22, 2020
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Early Eagle Rate:
January 27, 2020
Treasury or funds management is one of the most important functions and perhaps the most complex in the bank. Treasury is the department in charge of funds management and it determines, among other things, the overall money position of the bank and in this sense is charged with the responsibility of keeping the bank liquid. Liquidity, more than profitability, ranks first in every bank executive's priority objectives as this ultimately determines a bank's continuing viability.
This three-day module walks the participant through the mechanics of managing bank liquidity and how the department tackles the bank's profit objective by scouring the market for investment opportunities across all markets. It likewise discusses the department's linkages with the various departments of the bank in order to achieve these twin (i.e., liquidity and profitability) objectives.
Who should attend
The course is designed for employees from accounting and audit firms, personnel from treasury divisions of corporations and bank employees with little exposure on treasury activities. Fresh graduates of finance-related courses who are considering a career in treasury may also attend this course.
After the course, you will:
- Gain insight on the various functions and activities of the treasury or funds management department;
- Learn and understand how the department manages the bank's funds, its overall liquidity, and the attendant risks;
- Learn and understand the pricing mechanics and the income opportunities of trading in fixed income securities, foreign exchange and derivatives;
- Understand and appreciate the interrelationships between treasury and the other departments of the bank in achieving its liquidity and profitability objectives; and
- Identify and take advantage of profit opportunities in the yield curve, as well as control the resulting market risk.
- Learn and understand the risks inherent in trading in fixed income securities, foreign exchange and derivatives and various strategies to mitigate and control these risks
- Treasury overview
- Role and importance of treasury in an organization
- General functions and responsibilities of the different units in treasury
- Liquidity desk
- Foreign and local fixed income desks
- FX desk
- Derivatives desk
- General functions and responsibilities of the different support units of treasury
- Treasury systems and trading equipment
- Risks inherent to treasury products and operations
- Basics of market analysis
- Fundamental analysis
- Macroeconomic indicators
- Government policy directions
- Inter-market linkages
- Technical analysis
- Asset liability management
- Goal and process of ALM
- Importance and functions of ALCO
- Managing interest rate spread for improved margin
- Transfer pricing concept, models and issues
- Managing liquidity and reserves
- Sources of liquidity
- Reserves management
- Effective cost computation
- Interest rate exposure management
- Basic money market concepts
- Money market products and trading conventions
- Basic fixed income concepts
- Fixed income products and trading conventions
- Managing interest rate risk
- Foreign exchange exposure management
- Basic FX concepts
- FX products and trading conventions
- Managing FX risk
- Building blocks of derivatives – Forwards, Futures, Swaps, Options
- Uses of Derivatives
- Managing risks in Derivatives
Ms. Mari Toni Bautista
is currently Vice President under Financial Market Sales in ING Bank N.V. Manila Branch. She has established her career footing in banking and finance for more than nine years, holding various posts in asset management, fixed income and derivatives trading, and sales and structuring.
Prior to this, she held other posts, such as Head of Corporate Desk and Product Development Head of Security Bank Treasury, Derivatives and Structured Products Dealer of Banco de Oro (BDO) Private Bank Treasury, Foreign Currency Portfolio Officer of the Bank of the Philippine Islands Financial Markets Group, and Fixed Income Trader of the ING Bank N. V. Manila Branch.
In 2015, she was elected as part of the CFA Society of the Philippine’s Board of Trustees and held the post of Vice President handling Member Relations since then handling various projects such as employer info sessions and CFA Level I Review class.
Ms. Bautista earned her Bachelors and Masters degrees in Applied Mathematics, major in Mathematical Finance and minor in Economics from the Ateneo de Manila University, with Honorable Mention. She is a Chartered Financial Analyst and a Certified Treasury Professional.