May 18, 2020 - May 22, 2020
Monday - Wednesday
1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Thursday - Friday
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Early Eagle Rate:
May 04, 2020
This course is a practical introduction to credit work. It is designed to provide and familiarize participants with the basic tools for analyzing the creditworthiness of individuals and business firms.
The course starts off with a discussion of the basic credit principles and the various risks typically associated with credits. Using a template, it then proceeds to analyze the credit transaction by profiling the borrower, its management (if borrower is a firm), and the industry in which the borrower operates. The methodology is simplistic yet comprehensive; participants are guided through a progressive skills-development procedure in evaluating credit, from examining the evidence to making a decision.
Who should attend
- Bank account officers, credit analysts, and branch managers with lending functions.
- Professionals in other industries tasked with analyzing and approving credits.
After the course, you will:
- Recognize and understand the risks involved in credit/lending decisions;
- Read and analyze balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements of potential borrowers, recognize their limitations, and identify and evaluate the risks implicit in these statements;
- Realize the importance of cash flows in evaluating credits, understanding that accounting income does not pay off loans;
- Perform comprehensive management and industry analyses;
- Understand the causes of business failures and how the warning signals are detected; and
- Learn alternative approaches in evaluating the creditworthiness of small and medium enterprises (as time permits).
This course, which includes lectures, interactive discussions, and practical application exercises and case studies, covers the following topics:
- Credit principles and the credit process
- Understanding consumer/corporate credit risks
- Basics of financial statement analysis
- Corporate structure analysis
- Management evaluation
- Industry/market analysis
- Recognizing the symptoms of business failure (quantitative and qualitative approaches)
- SME Creditworthiness assessment
- Credit report writing
- Credit risk rating exercises
Mr. Larry S. Esguerra IV
is Director for Credit Programs at the Ateneo-BAP Institute of Banking, Program Director for Finance and Accounting at the Ateneo Center for Continuing Education and a Professor of Finance at the Ateneo Graduate School of Business. He is also Chief Financial Officer of a multinational construction and engineering firm and a diversified group of companies.
Mr. Esguerra has spent the greater part of his professional career in the financial services industry in the United States. Prior to his return to the Philippines, he was President and Chief Executive Officer of Golden Bay Federal Credit Union, a California-based, federally chartered credit union servicing the financial needs of military personnel and federal employees of the United States government. He also served as Vice President and Controller of Franklin Bank in Menlo Park, California; Associate Director of Capital Strategies Limited, a Hong Kong-based investment banking firm; and Resident Auditor of Citibank, N.A. in the Philippines.
Mr. Esguerra holds a Bachelors degree in accounting from the University of the Philippines and a Masters degree in Business Administration from the University of Phoenix. He is a Certified Public Accountant.
"The Credit Analysis program by Mr. Larry Esguerra has provided me with a deeper understanding of the financial and non-financial aspects of a company, both theoretical and practical."
- Bea Yatco (personal)
"I didn't really listen to my finance classes before because I never had the appreciation. But Mr. Esguerra did it so well that I enjoyed the class!"
- April Ann M. Gimeno One Network Bank
"The course has really helped me learn the fundamentals of credit analysis. Even though I am a recent graduate and new to the credit business. Mr. Esguerra was able to explain clearly and in a fun relevant way the basics of credit analysis"
- Bogie Indiongco Analyst, Philippine Rating Services Corporation (PhilRatings)