Evaluating Returns on Training Investment
Early Eagle Rate:
One of the constant questions of management is, “How much is the return on the training expenses?” Responses like, “it has improved production or morale” is acceptable unless the savings or increase are clearly evaluated and presented to management. If done properly, training will not be an expense, but a profit center.
This program will assist trainers to respond to the following queries:
1. To what extent are the participants satisfied as customers?
2. To what extent have the participants learned the information or skills?
3. To what extent has their behavior changed as a result of attending the course?
4. Did the training pay off? How much?
5. How do the trainees apply their learning constantly or as a way of life?
Who should attend
The program is designed for training and organizational development specialists, entry level training officers, managers and supervisors who are directly involved in staff and/or unit development, and to non-HR persons who need to learn and understand training functions and processes.
After the course, you will:
- Explain the critical elements of an evaluation framework;
- Design and interpret results of reaction, learning, behavior, and results of evaluation;
- Identify appropriate strategies to make the learning a way of life; and
- Calculate returns of training investment using appropriate measures.
- Introduction and Rationale
- Review of training cycle (Kirkpatrick & Wade)
- Need for training evaluation
- Principles and Characteristics of an Evaluation
- Four Levels of Evaluation
- Reaction: Customer satisfaction
- Learning: Level of skill or knowledge
- Behavior: Application of learning
- Results: Pay-off or return on training investment
- Practicum: Design of reaction and behavior evaluation instruments
- Measurement of Business-Focused Results
- Kinds of results
- Measurement of organizational impact
- Selecting impact measurements
- Calculating ROTI
- Strategies for Ensuring Constant Learning Applications
Mr. Armando T. Bongco, Jr
is a Professional Management and Organization Development Consultant specializing in leadership supervisory and management development, strategic planning, performance management, coaching and counseling, training and development, human resource for line leaders, and organization transformation.
He was a Consultant and HRDG Manager of United Laboratories, Inc., Senior Manager for Organization Development and Training Manpower Department of First Holdings Group of Companies, Head for Manpower Training and Development Department of the Human Resources Division of Ayala Group of Companies, and Staff Planning Assistant for the Human Resources Division- San Miguel Corporation.
Mr. Bongco was trained and certified as an official instructor for Problem-Solving and Decision-Making Program by Kepner and Tregoe, Inc., Interaction Management by Development Dimension International, Inc., and Problem Solving and Decision Making by Decision Processes, Inc. He participated and completed numerous seminars conducted by leading foreign and domestic consultancy firms in various areas of HRM.