Financial Markets and Corporate Finance
August 05, 2020 - August 15, 2020
Schedule via Zoom:
August 5, 6, 12, & 13 (Wednesdays & Thursdays) 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm
August 8 & 15 (Saturdays) 8:30 am – 12:00 nn
Early Eagle Rate:
This online program is designed to provide the participants with a substantive background on the financial markets as potential sources of capital, and the various financial instruments/securities firms use as vehicles to raise funds.
The module presents the capital structure theories, cost of capital, and dividend policy formulations that affect the behavior of the financial markets. It likewise discusses the determinants of optimal capital structure that diminish cost of capital and enhance firm value.
The module also covers the basic principles of equity valuation crucial for performing equity research, recommendations, peer comparisons and portfolio creation and management. Participants will also take a practical look at stock market trading and operations.
Who should attend
This course is designed for chief executive officers, chief financial officers, financial analysts, investment analysts, accountants, and practitioners who wish to upgrade their understanding and skills in financial management issues and problems.
At the end of this module, you shall attain:
- A clear understanding of the behavior of financial markets from the global and domestic setting, and the factors that affect them;
- A solid understanding of capital structure using the balance sheet model framework, its cost and long-term effects on risks and returns;
- Adequate skill in determining financial options based on the analysis of the financial markets, taking into account costs, risks, returns and prices;
- A practical insight into the operation of the stock market, its opportunities and prospects for financing decision choices and investment prospects;
- A broad view of the operations of the debt market, its costs, risks, returns, and prices; and
- A good understanding of the nature, type and impact of dividend policy on capital structure, risks, and returns.
This module, which discusses real situations through case analyses, simulations, and actual stock trading operations, covers the following topics:
- The balance sheet model as a capital structure
- Cost of capital and the weighted average cost of capital (WACC)
- Optimal capital structure: ideal or practical?
- The capital markets: debts and equities
- Dividend theories, policies and practices
- Equity securities analysis
- Portfolio creation and management
- Stock market trading and operations
MR. GAVIN LEE
He is an Assistant Professor at the Cesar E.A. Virata School of Business (VSB) (formerly College of Business Administration) at the University of the Philippines - Diliman where he teaches Accounting and Finance. He has conducted numerous seminars and trainings for various institutions, including the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE), Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA), Institute of Internal Auditors - Philippines (IIA-P), and the Ateneo Center for Continuing Education (CCE).
Aside from his involvement with educational activities, Gavin is an Adviser at Unicapital Securities, Inc. for Equity Research. He is also a Director at Dearest, an online jewelry company that focuses on custom-made wedding rings and engagement rings, and an Adviser for TripZeeker, an online bazaar of travel experiences, activities, and tours that connects travelers with multiple tour operators across the globe.
Mr. Lee holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration and Accountancy and a Master of Science degree in Finance from the VSB at the University of the Philippines - Diliman. He also holds the following professional certifications: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) - Philippines, Certified Internal Auditor (CIA®), and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®).