Strategic Thinking in a Changing World
November 15, 2021 - November 23, 2021
Schedule via Zoom:
November 15, 16, 22, and 23, 2021
8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Early Eagle Rate:
November 03, 2021
The world of business has undergone dramatic change in the pandemic era, and it will continue to undergo drastic change as we enter the post-pandemic environment. Setting strategies that fit this changing world has become more challenging than ever.
Strategic Thinking in a Changing World is a training workshop that aims to develop participants’ skills in strategic thinking and in applying these skills to contribute to their organization’s competitiveness or impact in this challenging environment. These skills include:
• Projecting growth to meet a V-shaped or U-shaped or L-shaped growth, coming out of the pandemic
• Anticipating trends in the industry and their impact on the company, now and into the future
• Broadening perspective beyond the participant’s current functional silo, to encompass the industry, the economy, global trends
• Practicing a disciplined thought process to construct a strategic view, as opposed to just an operational view
• Crafting competitive and breakthrough strategies, beyond their “business as usual” plans
• Applying systems thinking to company strategies
Who should attend
The course is appropriate for managers and supervisors who are involved in developing and/or implementing corporate and functional strategies. The course is fit for managers in both the private sector and the public sector.
At the end of this course, participants should be able to perform the following, practicing on a target company, based on a two- to three-year planning horizon:
1. Determine growth objectives for the company over the medium term, following a V- or U- or L-shaped growth curve, depending on the industry; determining the social impact of the business or institution;
2. Identify environmental threats to and opportunities for the company;
3. Analyze the company’s capabilities vs. key competitors;
4. Formulate company strategies/institutional strategies based on items 1 to 3; and
5. Deriving functional strategies that align with the company or institutional strategies.
Strategic thinking skills: Assessment and identification of gaps in strategic thinking skills
Strategic terms: A common language on the key terms to be used in the course
The five-step process for applying strategic systems thinking
Business growth and the growth matrix: different ways to forecast growth from short-term to medium-term depending on the growth curve
Environmental analysis: Identifying threats and opportunities in the external environment, that would impact business objectives
Internal analysis: The value chain and how to use it to identify competitive advantage/disadvantage
Company strategies: Crafting company strategies, based on the outputs of the previous topics
Functional strategies: Deriving departmental/functional strategies that align with the company or institutional strategies
Dr. Jet F. Magsaysay is the Dean of the Ateneo Graduate School of Business.
He is president of Strategic Directions, Inc., a strategy- and management-consulting firm that caters to top corporations in diverse industries. As a strategy and organizational development consultant, he has guided leading corporations in the Philippines and Southeast Asia in developing their visions and strategies, and in building their organizational capabilities.
As an academic program director he has conceptualized and customized leadership and management programs for diverse clients.
As a trainer-educator, he has designed and facilitated programs in strategy, execution, leadership, and management skills.
As a corporate executive, he has managed business units in the Philippines, in China, and across Asia, in the investment banking, publishing, and consulting industries.
An internationally recognized writer and presenter, he is a lecturer in Kyoto University’s Asia Business Leader Programme. He was Editor-in-Chief of World Executive’s Digest, a Pan-Asian management magazine where he authored award-winning content. He has authored research articles that have been peer-reviewed and published in international academic journals. He has been a keynote speaker at various conferences in Southeast Asia, China, and Japan.
Dr. Magsaysay has a BSc. in Industrial Management Engineering from De La Salle University, a Master in Management degree from the Asian Institute of Management, and a Ph.D. in Leadership Studies, major in Organizational Development, from the Ateneo De Manila University.