Towards Long Term Sustainability: Strategic Management For Family Business
May 19, 2020
8:00 am - 12:00 nn
Ateneo CCE, Salcedo Campus
Planning for the future in a highly competitive environment is essential for family businesses who desire long term sustainability. To appreciate the importance of planning to family businesses, this short course focuses on the fundamentals of the strategic management process: Strategy Formulation, Strategy Implementation and Strategy Evaluation.
Who should attend
Family members who are actively involved in the management of the business; Professionals who are currently critical to family businesses; Inactive family members who are owners of family businesses; Professionals who aspire to be part of family businesses or plan to set up one.
Upon completion of the course, participants should:
- Gain a conceptual understanding of the strategic management process;
- Understand what vision, mission, and values are and their importance to the family's strategic direction;
- Appreciate the importance of environmental analysis to the formulation of strategy;
- Know the role of objectives in both corporate and functional are environments;
- Refresh their knowledge on various strategy options given specific situations;
- Differentiate between long term strategy formulation and short term operations planning;
- Be enjoined to apply concepts of strategic management to their family businesses.
- Strategy formulation (vision-mission-values, external and internal analysis, setting long term goals/objectives, identifying strategy options, and formulating strategies)
- Strategy implementation
- Strategy evaluation
- Annual (short term) operations planning
Mr. Nathaniel Lim
is a Lecturer in strategic management at the John Gokongwei School of Management, Ateneo de Manila University, and a Lecturer in marketing and sales at the University of Asia & the Pacific’s School of Management. He is a Consultant on strategic management, marketing, and sales at both the Business Resource Center and the Family Business Development Center of the Ateneo, and does new business coaching for aspiring entrepreneurs with the Entrepreneurial Management Program of UA&P.
He has extensive experiences in marketing, sales, productivity improvement, and strategic planning from various industries such as packaged food, household care, personal care, fabric care, music & entertainment, media, agricultural machinery, telecommunications, and consumer banking.
Mr. Lim holds an MBA in Marketing from Fordham University in New York, USA. He finished BS Business Management and AB Interdisciplinary Studies from the Ateneo de Manila University.